About the Area
Situated on the relentless yet majestic Murray River, Albury Wodonga has long been known as the congregation of two states. Overflowing with historic beauty contrasted by it’s contemporary appeal of recent times, people are drawn to the unique urban lifestyle that can be maintained within a country setting.
Approximately 3.5 hours by car from Melbourne and with a population of just over 100,000 people, Wodonga is the ideal place to visit for those who are looking for a friendly and relaxed atmosphere with everything a modern city has to offer.
When it comes to leisure there is an abundance of activities and attractions on offer especially with it’s emerging food and wine scene. Hire a bike and cycle along the Murray River, explore the region’s famers markets, or visit Junction Place - the former historic railway station and rail yards which have been re-vamped and now hosts markets and events.
Self-drive the area and enjoy a picnic in the glorious countryside, or take in the local culture at MAMA - the Murray Art Museum Albury where you can appreciate Indigenous art or experience the intriguing Yindamurra Sculpture Walk. From concerts to live events there’s always something on, so make sure you have a look at what’s happening at the Albury Entertainment Centre or The Cube, Wodonga.
Lake Hume is also just a short 15 minute drive from the CBD and is the perfect place to go to if you’re a nature lover and are looking to take part in water activities such as yachting, kayaking, swimming, fishing, water-skiing or stand-up paddle boarding.
Things to do
- Stroll the city’s extensive Botanic Gardens
- Join the locals for water sports at Lake Hume
- Pay your respects at Monument Hill War Memorial
- Take in the local arts scene at MAMA
- Back a winner at Albury Racing Club
- Cycle along the Murray River Trail or Wagirra Trail
- Appreciate indigenous art along Yindyamarra Sculpture Walk
- Pick up quality produce at Albury Wodonga Farmers Market
- Bushwalk through the Wonga Wetlands and view local birdlife
- Catch up on history at the award-winning Albury Library Museum, or by following the Albury Heritage Trail
- Visit Noreuil Park, home to the River Deck Café and a children’s playground with flying fox
- Twilight markets (boutique goods) - 3rd Thursday of the month from October to March
- February: City to City Fun Run – between Albury and Wodonga
- February: Lake Hume Cycle Challenge
- March: Commercial Club Albury Gold Cup Carnival – one of Australia’s biggest regional racing events
- March: Albury Wodonga International Horse Trials
- March: Wodonga Show and Rural Lifestyle Fair – entertaining families since 1947
- April: Sound Out -Wodonga’s annual youth festival
- June : Mighty Morry Muster –The Morris Minor lives on
- July: Albury Wodonga Eisteddfod
- August: Albury International Film Festival – held over 10 days
- September: Write around the Murray Festival- writers and readers festival
- October: Albury Wodonga Yacht Club Sail Country
- November: Murray Masters Pro Am – golf tournament
- December: Wodonga Boxing Day Races – a local institution